Sunday, September 15, 2013
Response To: Shitty FIrst Drafts by Anne Lamott
I really liked this passage. It made me feel better about my writing and gave me insight on how to improve my writing. The main idea of this story is that writing does not come easily. Lamott says most published and accomplished writers never sit down and just take off with beautiful writing. I thought that writers specifically knew how to write once and idea was in there head. Lamott continues and says that most writing is done draft by draft, the first being horrible until the writer holds a draft that is near perfect in their opinion. In my writing I usually write only two or three drafts and I never really got the feedback I wanted. This advice from Lamott is really going to help me cause I now get what I need to do to get my writing where i want it. The idea is to start your first draft with what ever you want to write, however you want to write it. This draft will be terrible but you can go back and improve it sentence by sentence and even add new ideas and subjects. After each draft look over it and read it as if it wasn't yours. Lamott shows the audience this by using the example of her writing restaurant reviews for a magazine she use to work for. She said it was horrible trying to start writing and became really frustrated, but she decided to write a horrible draft and then come back to it later. The thing she said that was most difficult getting past were the judge mental voices in her head. I have problems with this too because I'm often scared of turning in a paper that is horrible and imagining a teacher or peer insulting my writing. The way Lamott got around this was a trick she learned from a hypnotist where you focus on these voices isolate them and put them in a jar and tune them out in your mind. I'm definitely going to try this and see if it works. This passage mad me feel much better about writing this essay, I just have to know that my writing is going to be bad at first and slowly improve it everyday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also feel like it made writing a little easier for me. I normally just try to write one really good draft and to maybe do a second one but never really get checked by someone. I do like the idea of just throwing something down on paper no matter how bad it may seem at first. It's just nice to actually get something written.
ReplyDeleteThe judgment part of people reading really hinders writing.. but most writing has a particular audience--it's a hard thing to escape. I think if we all just know and expect that writing will be a continued process, we can all look at ourselves as giving feedback rather than judging the piece in the middle of its process.
ReplyDelete