Monday, October 28, 2013

Discourse Communities

For my discourse community I'm going to choose skateboarding because I kind of already understand why and how they're in this group.Skateboarding is a very interesting and very big group. Its hard not to find a skateboarder in any urban or suburban area. Im going to follow a few of my friends that skateboard around campus and to a few skateparks. I think this will be very easy for me because I have already spent seven years of my life centered around skateboarding.
Skateboarding as a discourse community:
- All Skateboarders want is to get better or have fun skateboarding. Some skaters want to become professional one day but that is extremely hard.
- Most skaters communicate through text or cell phones. Also there are many skate videos and skate tutorials online.
- Online is a huge resource for any skater trying to learn. Also skateparks great places where you can find other skaters who can you show you how to do something.
- There is an entire language to skateboarding do to the hundreds of tricks there are. There is also a kind of surfer dude slang adaptation that some skaters have.
- There is always older more experienced skaters who are willing to teach younger people if they ask.

The reason I chose skateboarding is because I feel like I could get people to like and understand skateboarders. In the public eye many people see skateboarders as a menace. With this project hopefully I can change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment