I really liked this reading because it was about one of my favorite things: food. The reading was about the author, Geeta Kothari, and her experiences with cooking and eating foods from different cultures. Kothari said she came from India but lives in america. The start of the reading she tells us about her childhood and how at her school many of the her classmates were eating typical american foods, but she didn't because her mother would always make her Indian foods. Kothari's mother did not want her eating american foods because she didn't know much about it. Also it was a common not to eat any beef in India so Kothari's mother did not let her have any. As she gets older Kothari gets many chances to indulge in food from different cultures and she enjoys it sometimes. Although when she was sent to boarding school in London she had the chance to eat foods with beef in it, but she declares her self a vegetarian. Which I thought was weird considering she wanted to eat meat when she was younger. Later in life Kothari regrets not enjoying the foods of her childhood because she no longer had the opportunity to get these meals cause she have the recipes or anyone who knew how to cook them. Many restaurants she went to didn't cook indian food the proper way. So she tries to gather as many recipes she can over the phone from relatives. She eventually got married to american who often ate the foods she wanted as a child but then she seemed to miss her Indian foods more. Kothari also talked about this unfamiliar smell she recognized on him that was like the meat foods he ate. She said she didn't like but she used to want those foods she want as a child which is a bit ironic.
After reading it i felt like I could relate to Kothari missing her childhood foods. Now as a college student I really miss my parents cooking even though it was not always the best its sure beats eating microwave dinners and fast food. Like Kothari I also didn't like my parents food all the time. I loved eating at my friends house because his mom was from El Salvador and I loved getting a chance to experience new types of food. I think many kids do not just dislike they're parents cooking it's just that they get used to it and it gets boring after 10 years of the same cooking. I think we should all be open to new foods becuase we never know if we like them until we try.
Yea it was pretty funny how she kept getting involved in situations with the smells of meats or tastes of them and she hated them so much, but she was so upset as a child that her mother wouldn't let her have the foods she later despised.
ReplyDeleteYea it was pretty funny how she kept getting involved in situations with the smells of meats or tastes of them and she hated them so much, but she was so upset as a child that her mother wouldn't let her have the foods she later despised.
ReplyDeleteThis reading was cool
ReplyDelete