Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Response to: The Sponsors of Literacy

I really liked reading  The Sponsors of Literacy by Deborah Brandt. I got really interested in the part about Dwayne Lowery and how he went from a hard labor job to becoming a key communicator in a employee union. Lowery went on a trip to DC to get more educated on the behalf of a work union. This trip helped get more literate which made him very valuable to the union. Brandt calls this trip for Lowery a Sponsor. Sponsors are anything that helps us become more literate. She emphasizes a lot on how important sponsors are for us and I agree they are. If Lowery never had that trip as a sponsor he'd still be working at the production line. Brandt's essay made me think about my own sponsors and if my level of literacy is high enough to get me a worthwhile career.

2 comments:

  1. Yea I agree on how it does certainly make you think of all the sponsors in your life that help you along the way with things you may be illiterate in. I can certainly count a lot of people who have helped me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you mentioned that the the trip was Lowery's sponsor. That did leave me thinking about my own sponsors as well. I also thought it was interesting how Dora and Raymond were their own personal sponsors in a way because they were self-learners, like Malcom X. It's crazy what motivation can make us do.

    ReplyDelete